Saturday, February 02, 2008

The 'F' word

Another week goes by. Another weekend has arrived. It has brought the winds of change with it.

Its going to be a good, well-cherished 3 years in my present company in another couple of months. I have been all along in the same project, drilling my way through the scope of my project and my role(s). Having started off with nothing and landed up where I am today, I took some moments, in the recent weeks, to look back at some of the big highlights of this journey.

Its fair to say, that in this journey, I have also taken a jolly ride on my personal front. Shloka being the epitome of that. So put in a lot of goodies and some baddies and thats where I stand now. Its probably a checkpoint, better known as the 'Cross-road'. The interesting thing to note is: every result is possible at this point of time. Staying on, moving to a different role/location, moving on. And thats the order in which I am going to take it through the system.

Mixed thoughts are running in as to what I want from life. Is it the methodical running behind work 'Indian' mindset, putting family as an 'also ran'.... or is it time to set the record straight and learn to practice 'Work-Life Balance' all over again, on a clean slate, a new page??

Most Hindustani IT folks probably face this dilemma.. not sure why I shouldnt include other professions within the sub-continent. What is that ideal 'combination' which one wants in one's lifetime? Some of my friends said - success at work, some said - family, one even said - giving something back to the society.

What I want to know may not be that different from any of you tired souls, churning out your mechanical life in the different corners of the 'third rock from the sun'.

The chase for the dollar or the pound or the rupee - as maybe your currency of interest - has left us in a delusioned state of 'perceived satisfaction'. It truly doesnt exist and we only try to chase that elusive 'dew in the grass', only to find that it dries off before noon. Too much to achieve, too little time - actually we dont know the 'time' aspect - else our lives would be a lot more organised and planned. In the times of the Vedas, they didnt really run behind money. They only wanted to learn the 'truth', atleast the noble souls did that. Dont think we are that unnoble to be discounted here.

The next few weeks will probably emerge as a new chapter in my life as I go about analysing 'what i want'. Before I draw out the roadmap, there is one important thing I need to do - 'FOCUS'.

The 'F' word.

On what I have done so far..... On what I could have..... On what I should have.

Between these three variants, I am sure, lies the key to the future.

No comments: