Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Sun Gods!!

AR Rahman is one of the most renowned musicians globally today. But when he started off, he was simply put appealingly 'new and refreshing'. That was when he started off with Roja and Thiruda Thiruda. The instant success of these two albums was so huge that the audience of all ages turned a head to 'who this new guy was'.

Till then, I distinctly remember, there used to be an informal sentiment that a movie with Ilayaraja as the music director was considered a good movie, and something worth watching. There have been innumerable instances when we used to go as a family and choose based on this kind of a factor.

Roja released in 1992 in Pondicherry in Raja theatre. It wasnt one of the theatres renowned for screening the big movies. I remember watching the posters every day, to and from school. I had to pass that way. The distinct photography was all too evident and I was desperately trying to find out who was the music director, as always.

That I didnt watch the movie, until after a few years - is a testimony to this fact. I was into songs, but not into Background scores. Thiruda Thiruda changed all that. I must have watched that movie like 100 times till date, just to enjoy the BGM. One of the times, me and Premjit, ran like desperate fans, to the ticket counter, once the gate was opened. Good moments those!

ARR is now a part of my life. A person who sits with me always, through every single emotion of mine. So much so, I like to play songs, when I study, when I work (not of late) and when I sleep. I heard much later, that one of my elder cousins, Jays, used to do it too. It runs in the family? Maybe..!!

The greatness about Rahman is that there will be so many music tracks, all interwined that it would be so difficult to recognise and relish all of them in one go. You had to hear it again and again. As schoolmates, we all used to meet up at one of our friends' place and hear the latest album, together. And there used to be that intellectual discussion about beats and pace, rhythm and melody. None of us were educated in music ofcourse. One of my buddies remarked - 'I hope he lives for a long time!!'

Often Rahman would hit it big with that one suttle flute or that timely tabla mix. For a person, who says, he composes music through meditation, I guess its possible for him to go into those minute details for each and every song/BGM.

I dont know if Rahman did the trick or it was just co-incidental. But there are theories that music can help our brain think better and for me, that was where Rahmanism fitted perfectly. Its like that ideal dose of energy and power, which one needs, every now and then. Whenever his influence was not that much around me, I havent done well, or atleast I havent done things decently well.

Ilayaraja wasnt really inspirational in any sense, without disrespect to his class. But Rahman has it all and still has it fresh and lively, even after 16 years or so. Jodha Akbar is the latest on the list of his musical albums, which leave you with a lot of impact and influence. As you can imagine, I am listening to it as I type this line. I wish the broadband was better today though!

The second 'R' I have always got inspired from is none other than Rajnikanth. Needless to say, I am just another Tamil guy, when it comes to idolising him. Its not because he has style or because he has that 'zing' thing about it. I guess Rajni in some ways, has played the 'optimist', 'how to succeed in life in 3 hours' card, very well. Its very difficult to explain to someone who hasn't undertaken this journey as a 'movie-goer', following his films with interest.

For most of the people, who havent, he is just the 'ideal' joker who can defy gravity and do stunts which include - stopping a comet from hitting the earth and so on. The irony is, most of these people, still like the unbelievable stunts of Matrix or Superman. But again, thats not why the masses like him. I guess its the persona of positivity. I remember once, my friend, telling me, he felt so super-charged, after watching 'Annamalai' - to go out and achieve something in life!!

That was the hidden mantra, behind the man and his rise to superdom.

Honestly, in a place like Tamil Nadu, there are not too many others, whom we could look forward to as 'role models'. Thats really the state of the state!!!! Cricket is the closest which comes as a place holder for heroes. Else its only movies and music, and thats where the limits lay.

Accepting this as a limit is one aspect, adapting to it and picking your models from them is another. I like, many of my friends, chose the latter.

Incidentally both of my heRRoes did win the NDTV Indian of the year. Its a sign that south India has moved on beyond 'Madras'. Also a sign, that they still inspire millions like me, in whatever little way possible.

'RA' in ancient Egyptian mythology stands for the sun god, the most important of all gods. In many ways, RA-hman and RA-jni are my sun gods.

Lucky me, I have two suns and both help brighten my day, everyday!!

1 comment:

Raj said...

Wow Satish..I really enjoyed reading this blog....