Sunday, December 16, 2007

Nelson - a name echoed across generations.

It was a breezy weekend in October 2005. I was in my first few few days in London and was doing some sight-seeing all alone. It was all going on fine, until I stumbled upon China Town and eventually found my way to Trafalgar square. It was around 3 in the afternoon.

There seemed to be a lot of activity in TS at that time of the day. Not having anything else to do and not knowing anyone, I decided to hang on and watch what was happening.

The show was supposed to begin at 6:30 or so. One could see all kinds of army uniforms, navy uniforms, scottish military men in kilts and different stars and badges displayed with pride and honor.

I for one, had no idea of Nelson's historic background nor did I know anything of the battle of Trafalgar. Had a vague idea that it was a sea battle. By around 6:15 ish, it was decided to let everyone enter the square... earlier it was only allowed for ppl with valid invites.

I joined in with the other group of people and it was really going to be an exciting evening. Everyone around was so thrilled!!

It began at 6:30 sharp. There was all kinds of displays, from army men climbing down the walls of the National Gallery, to navy seals attempting a successful rescue mission. Finally it ended with a spectacular laser show. I had never seen such a rich and grand show in my entire life, in person!!


I left home with a great sense of happiness, of being part of something historic.

2 years on. Around October 2007, I was glancing through the book shelf of my local library and chanced upon a book on Nelson. Rekindling my interest in what really made him the hero he was, I took the chance to read it.

Nelson - soon became a character with whom I could relate, who soon became clear to me as someone who was worth appreciating as a hero.

The British never praise anyone to the hilt, unless there is something substantial to praise in him or her. It wasnt like being a sportsman in India, where one century or one victory in a quarter final game and you are heralded as the MAN OF THE DECADE!!!

Nelson - is one of the very few - I think - the British consider as the absolute hero. He is someone who displayed all the grand characteristics of an individual and rose to the occasion, served his country and eventually died in his hour of victory.

That there is a column marking Nelson right in the heart of London and 200 years hence, there is such a spectacular celebration meted out, is a testimony to the man, who died only to become immortal.

Nelson is someone who will remain the epitome of British culture for centuries to come. I am yet to finish this book, from what I have read, I cant really agree more.

(Part 1 ends.)

No comments: