Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Singapore it is!

The journey to Singapore was something which was appealing all the more because Singapore Airlines had a reputation preceding it. I have to say, it didnt match to my expectations. I was left earning for more.. mainly food. There was no veg meal.. only the stuff which herbivores eat. Needless to say, I spent more time sleeping and watching Sivaji.

10 hours earlier, I was eagerly looking forward to the 1st test match between India and Australia. India was really playing up the word game, but it was quite matched with action with the bowlers picking up most of the wickets by end of day one. What was to come in the next few days, was in my mind, as I took the ride to Heathrow.

A great match, a new city... a new year. Thats as deadly a combination as it gets! Missed Suja and Shloka.. that would have completed the equation.

Singapore at first view, was so green, it was incredibly artificial. That perception was short lived. The place has real trees, with real leaves and something called 'photosynthesis' happening inside. I miss my botany classes! Would have enjoyed the different varieties lined up along the roads. 10th floor of the Grand Park houses the Executive Class. The room is appealing and has the right things including a DVD player with cool speakers. Havent checked till date if they offer Dolby surround, never mind!

When we talk on the phone to a stranger, we try to associate a face to them. Some basic things like dark, round face... or long nose.. something which hits our intuitive curve. I had the chance to compare how far away my I curve was from reality. But it was cool to meet the face holding the voice. Lots of hi's and hello's followed some serious work too.

Singapore has a very relaxed, cordial and absolutely pleasant work culture. Atleast thats what I saw in my office there. There was not too many ppl complaining or cribbing. All was fine always!

Shopping in singapore is as integrated as Kamal Hassan is with face makeup. Its omnipresent and effective too. But one has to be very careful with one's bargaining skills. Smart ladies and smarter men will survive the challenge and get a product at the right price. Shopping in India is much easier if you ask me!

Finally managed to get a good 8.2 Mega Pixel FujiFilm camera. I went with the advice the local man gave - Fuji is better than most brands. I dont regret it, having used it for some days now. Sentosa was blessed with my feet landing there?? nah, it was the opposite. It doesnt have too many different varieties as a Disneyland would have, but its got its own unique charm. We (myself and my colleague Lalit) really had fun at the Underwater Park and the laser show. The show was really upto the mark and worth the wait and money.

Rest all were ok. The Merlion, Singapore's in-house brand, is a very interesting combination of a lion and a mermaid myth. It stands out bravely guarding Singapore from unknown forces. The populace here is mixed, Malay/Chinese/Indian. Little India, for those who know my eating talent, was in the center of all my travel plans. It either started with a lunch there or ended with dinner there. We also tried some good food elsewhere..

Overall, coming from London, where one had to travel a decent distance to get good food, I was really ovewhelmed to see Indian (read 'South Indian sambhar type') food wherever your eyes wanted them. They werent costly either. The other cool aspect literally was the fact that restaurants/car/buses/MRT/room/office - everything was AC'ed to a good degree. Man, thats sometimes(read 'always') so comfy.

The new year eve was a day of action, in all the contrary terms - no talks about watching the fireworks or having a blast in the seashore. It was all about work. Focus!(my fav word). Left for one of the client's depot by 10 PM and was there till 8 in the morning next day. New year, new place, new ppl and a completely new challenge in the early hours of the day.....without going into too many details, (you can read this section in my autobiography 20 years later)... i can say...."And then there was sunshine!!"

A new release was born on new year aptly enough.
Alls well that indeed begins well.

No comments: