Saturday, May 30, 2009

The IT Lothlórien!


It was just another day at work - yesterday! Minimal time and infinite deliverables and expectations! After managing to do what would fit in as a hard dog's day - I was browing my favourite Indian Zeitung website - Times of India. 

With the normal news of the Indian puppet elections and the ministers' lucky draw results - it was seemingly a boring view! All of a sudden, somewhere there was a link about something exciting in the IT field!

My eyebrow directed my cornea to focus on that one link. It was about something wavy called Google Wave!

With limited broadband facility at my residence in Aundh, I couldnt really view the entire video all in one go! Determination after a long day slog, is a topic for a book, not a blog! Somehow, after half an hour, I was finally able to see the video uninterrupted.

This was a demo of Google Wave which was done earlier at the Google I/O summit. My heart sort of jumped a beat, as each and every functionality of this unique and powerful product/platform was unveiled! Most amazing was the breakthrough in technology to make information sharing in IM and Email as real-time as is possible - to the level of "a letter" and not "individual messages". Equally amazing was the fact that this was Open Sourced right from the beginning, making it an important strategic technology shift since the invention of Internet!

You can name anything - email/IM/web browsing/blogging/social communication - everything has changed and changed for the extraordinarily best!

The most extraordinary feature in the demo is the part where one single email is being edited by multiple users - all at the same time! Creation of team deliverables will no longer need to be done in iterations - the door has been opened for them to be done "in collaboration" and "in parallel".

Microsoft Internet Explorer and Firefox have ruled for too long. Time for them to retire!!

Sincere suggestion to each and every IT worker in the world - whatever you do today - please check out the future of IT - Google Wave. The link to the demo is here: http://wave.google.com/

If you see this demo and you are not blown away,  there is nothing much which can interest you any longer in the IT world. You can quietly retire today!

Taking a few steps away from the topic in a related way - AR Rahman's Lothlorien composition in the "Lord of the Rings" musical - is a true masterpiece. If you are a true/loyal Rahman fan and you havent heard it, please take corrective actions immediately.

The lyrics of the song go something like this:

From the west she appeared,
Sunlight and stars in her hair.
In her eyes an undying memory of home,
A land that is magical and fair.

When her feet came to rest,
Deep in a canopied glade,
She lifted her face and there she danced.
The realm of Lothlórien she made.

Gaze on me lady of gold,
Reawaken my slumbering soul.
Beacon of courage summon me home,
to your haven of wonders untold.


Oh child of my heart,
Born of a never ending dream.
You were cradled in light,
Bathed in an ever flowing stream.

Flourish and grow,
my mystical world.
Here you will ever belong.
Son of my yearning,
Daughter of hope.
Beautiful child of my song.

Although storms may descend,
Mountain and valley may quake.
For the days that remain,
This is the promise I make.
No shadow fall across this land,
Before the wind and fire I stand,
And you my child will know no harm,
Enfolded in my arms,
Lothlórien!

The IT Lothlorien has arrived. Google Wave is the golden invention of the decade. Mountains of companies and valleys of IT vendors may quake, but the promise it holds is truly magical! 

No comments: